If you have only have access to hard water in your area, you may be looking for shower head filters for hard water. These filters help remove chlorine and fluoride from water.
This updated guide lists all of the best shower head filters available. Below are the top 5 picks and make the most out of the advice in this article.
Table of Contents
- Best Shower Head Filters for Hard Water
- 1. AquaBliss High Output Revitalizing Shower Filter
- 2. Culligan ISH-100 Inline Showerhead Filtration Attachment with Filter
- 3. Sprite HO2-WH-M High Output 2 Universal Filter Housing with Additional Shower Head
- 4. G-Promise Luxury Filtered Handheld Shower Head
- 5. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head
- 6. PureAction Shower Head Filter for Hard Water
- 7. Torti Lia 15 Stage Shower Filter with Vitamin C For Hard Water
- 8. SITAFL 15 Stage Shower Filter
- 9. Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead
- 10. Luxsego Ionic Shower Head with Special Mineral Balls
- 11. Captain Eco Shower Filter with 2 Cartridges
- 12. Barclay’s Water Softener Shower Head
- 13. Geekpure 4 Stage Universal Handheld Showerhead Shower Filter
- Buyer’s Guide
- Factors to Consider Before Buying a Shower Head Water Softener
Best Shower Head Filters for Hard Water
1. AquaBliss High Output Revitalizing Shower Filter
Brand: AquaBliss | Item No: AB-SF100 | ASIN: B01MUBU0YC | Item Weight:15.5 ounces
Best Features: If filter efficiency is your biggest concern, this one’s not going to disappoint you
The no-tool, easy-to-install shower filter by AquaBliss comes with two filter cartridges and can be easily installed with whatever shower head you’re using. The two cartridges can work up to 40,000 gallons of water, making this an excellent model to work for an entire year.
The water filter can easily remove most contaminants including bacteria, viruses, heavy metals, chlorine, and magnesium, making your water softer and healthier for use. The AquaBliss water filter will give you the experience of the cleanest clean!
2. Culligan ISH-100 Inline Showerhead Filtration Attachment with Filter
Brand: Culligan | Item No: 01019101 | ASIN: B000MVYRWE | Item Weight: 14.9 ounces
Best Features: Included WHR-140 filter reduces sulfur odor, chlorine, and scale
This in-line shower filter does not require any tools and is very easy to install. It comes with a WHR-140 filter cartridge to easily handle up to 10,000 gallons of water between changes. Enjoy cleaner, softer water for your hair and skin and enjoy bacteria-free shower experience every time.
3. Sprite HO2-WH-M High Output 2 Universal Filter Housing with Additional Shower Head
Brand: Sprite | Item No: HO2-WH-M | ASIN: B006LQPJIU | Item Weight: 1.7 pounds
Best Feature: It’s a high-performance filter that can soften your shower water and kill bacteria and other microorganisms to prevent potentially harmful health problems
Tired of hard water showers? Make your shower experience chlorine-free and maintain softer skin and smoother hair by installing this filter in your shower head. This model by Sprite contains a reversible filter cartridge that would instantly eliminate all the harmful chemicals from your shower water for up to one year.
4. G-Promise Luxury Filtered Handheld Shower Head
Brand: G-Promise | Item No: G-0106C | ASIN: B079CFRM41 | Item Weight: 3.45 pounds
Best Features: This filter can reduce heavy metals, chlorine, rust and sediment
This handheld shower head equipped with a 10-stage filter system is a luxury combo that can offer you the best shower experience without sediment, rust, metal, chlorine, or any contaminant.
The shower head itself is a great plus as it features six different settings, from which to choose. The easy-to-install shower head and filter combo guarantee a refreshing and healthy bath every day.
5. Culligan WSH-C125 Wall-Mounted Filtered Shower Head
Brand: Culligan | Item No: WSH-C125 | ASIN: B0006VVN1S | Item Weight: 1.45 pounds
Best Features: Patented filter media bacteriostatic that limits passage and growth of bacteria
This filtered shower head by Culligan is another efficient and exciting design. Get your hands on this budget-friendly design that can easily transform your shower experience. Convert hard water into cleaner and softer water and enjoy a refreshing shower.
Simply replace your current shower head with this one, and you’re good to go! It filters 10,000 gallons of water before it requires a filter change.
6. PureAction Shower Head Filter for Hard Water
Brand: PureAction | Item No: SH225 | ASIN: B072XJ2XCJ | Item Weight: 12.3 ounces
Best Features: Composed of premium metal, it’s durable, lightweight and has inline filter cartridge with Vitamin C beads
This shower head has a full metal body and an internal filter cartridge that features vitamin C. It removes various contaminants such as heavy metals, bacteria, chlorine, fluoride, ammonia, and pesticides from the water while providing an excellent shower experience. This product is an excellent investment for anyone wanting a shower head and filter combo.
7. Torti Lia 15 Stage Shower Filter with Vitamin C For Hard Water
Brand: Torti Lia | Item No: 15SSF | ASIN: B07PG5D8VP | Item Weight: 15.8 ounces
Best Features: Removes chlorine, heavy metals and other sediment and inhibits the growth of scale in the bath tub
This advanced shower filter with vitamin C is perfect for dealing with hard water. The multi-stages filtration system cleans the water of contaminants and sediments and leaves nothing but clean water for a great shower experience. The filter also features alkaline ceramic balls that help to soften the water as well as eliminate odors.
The filter comes with two replaceable cartridges for efficiency. In addition to the alkaline balls, the filter also features antibacterial and calcium sulfite filters.
8. SITAFL 15 Stage Shower Filter
Brand: SITAFL | Item No: 5823583676 | ASIN: B07F2H6BLN | Item Weight: 1.3 pounds
- Eliminate deep filter impurities with 15-stage filter
- Alkaline ball to soften the water quality
- Excellent for hair and skin condition
- Known for removing heavy metals in water
- Easy to install
9. Aquasana AQ-4100 Deluxe Shower Water Filter System with Adjustable Showerhead
Brand: Aquasana | Item No: AQ-4100 | ASIN: B0016BS9T6 | Item Weight: 2.3 pounds
- Long-lasting and cost-effective filtration
- Premium NSF Certified Filtration Media
- Improves your water’s PH balance
- Simple DIY installation
- Excellent for hair and skin
10. Luxsego Ionic Shower Head with Special Mineral Balls
Brand: Luxsego | Item No: FSH-001 | ASIN: B01NCJDYA3 | Item Weight: 11.2 ounces
- Features special mineral balls to reduce chlorine
- High-pressure water shower head
- Water-saving and cleaning design – all in one
- Three spray setting for modified shower preferences
- Solid and durable design
11. Captain Eco Shower Filter with 2 Cartridges
Brand: Captain Eco | Item No: SF001 | ASIN: B01M03C6PO | Item Weight: 1.35 pounds
- Effectively blocks sediments and chlorine
- Features KDF 55 media to eliminate fungi, rust, residue, odor, and harmful particles
- Improves respiration
- Excellent for sensitive skin and hair
- Effectively softens the water
12. Barclay’s Water Softener Shower Head
Brand: Barclay’s Buys Better Home Goods | Item No: COMINHKG126681 | ASIN: B011PVKJRQ | Item Weight: 6.1 ounces
- Effectively reduces chlorine and other chemicals
- Comes with an extra filter
- High-pressure shower design for a great shower experience
- Three settings for shower spray
- 100% money-back guarantee
13. Geekpure 4 Stage Universal Handheld Showerhead Shower Filter
Brand: Geekpure | Item No: SFH-01| ASIN: B074VYPL4W | Item Weight: 10.7 ounces
- BPA-free, food-grade material
- Effectively softens hard water
- Excellent for a revitalizing shower experience
- Maintain water flow with 8-mode options
- Germanium balls to balance out PH levels
If you don’t have a centralized water filtration system, you should consider getting one installed for your shower. There’s a high chance the tap water in your house is less than perfect. Old and rusty water lines can impact your shower water too. And while there’s nothing you can do about improving the quality of your municipal water, you can improve the quality of your shower water by installing a shower head water filter.
This guide has everything you want to know.
Why Do We Need Shower Head Filters?
Here are the top reasons why shower head filters are an essential investment:
To Reduce the Contamination
Be it chlorine or any other harmful chemical, having a water filter in place gives you cleaner water. Chlorine – which is used for treating water – can be very unhealthy for your hair and skin and can strip them of their natural oils, making them look dry and weak. Shower head water filters will improve the shower water quality and help you maintain better skin, scalp, and hair.
To Make Water Softer
Taking a shower with hard water can damage your hair and dry out your skin. Filters help soften the water, making it cleaner and healthier.
To Eliminate Bacteria And Viruses
Installing a shower head filter for hard water will help remove most of the bacteria and viruses. Shower heads are a perfect breeding location for bacteria. A shower head filter can kill the bacteria before it tries to multiply.
To Reduce The Harmful Chemicals
Other than the regular contaminants, your shower water may also be affected by chemicals like herbicides, pesticides, and other pharmaceuticals. Filters can help reduce the impact of these harmful chemicals as well.
To Make It Safe For Children
Children, in particular, are more susceptible to the risk of inhalation of chlorine vapors and other sediments. By installing filters, you can make shower water safer for children.
The Different Types Of Shower Head Filters
These compact units are available in different types to perfectly meet your needs. Let’s learn about them all:
KDF filters contain copper and zinc that creates a nominal electrical charge to eliminate contaminants from the water. The electrical charge will split the molecules of harmful chemicals, reducing the hardness of the water, and fulfilling the purpose.
Shower Head Filters
These are the two-in-one combos and look like regular shower heads – usually in a bulkier shape or size. These include the filters within the design to filter out harmful particles present in the water. These shower heads often have high water pressure.
In-line Shower Filters
These are often the most sought after type because they are designed to fit between your current water line and the shower head.
Carbon filters are a popular choice for two main reasons. First, activated carbon filters are an effective yet cheap water filtration option. And second, they also effectively remove chloramine from the water.
Vitamin C filters
Filters with vitamin C are highly effective against chloramine and therefore one of the best options available. The tube in these filters releases vitamin C for revitalizing your overall health and improve your skin. Vitamin C also plays a role in eliminating certain contaminants.
Factors to Consider Before Buying a Shower Head Water Softener
The following factors will further help you make up your mind:
Most shower head filters offer two gallons of filtered water per minute. If you require a larger capacity based on your usage, look for a filter accordingly.
Use a water test kit to determine the hardness of your home water. This will help you find out the mineral grains present in one gallon of water. Find a shower filter that caters to the level of hard water at your home.
Cost of the Product
We have covered a wide range of top shower head filters for hard water in this article for you. The price range varies too. So you can opt according to your budget.
Check out this video to learn how to install shower head filters for hard water.
What’s the best material for a shower water filter?
Metal and plastic are the most common materials for shower filters. Metal finish is more expensive than plastic. However, both materials work perfectly with proper maintenance and care.
How long does a filter cartridge last?
It varies by manufacturer. Typically, one cartridge should be able to filter up to 10,000 gallons of water.
Is a shower water filter good for my dry scalp and hair?
Hard water, along with chlorine, can damage hair and skin. Using a filter to remove these contaminants adds up to a healthier scalp and beautiful hair.
How do I know if I need to put in a new filter?
The filter usually indicates this by changing color. Check your filter and see if it appears to be much darker than when you initially installed it. Filters are typically changed every four to six months.
Will the shower filter remove copper from my water?
Adding a filter will help reduce the copper in your water, but it can’t eliminate it.